Tuesday 15 July 2014

In sickness & health


We've spent a week sick. And now that we're better, we're enjoying the sweet feeling of health returned and more energy yet still spending much of our days resting, moving gently. Because it seems that's what our bodies are wanting of us right now, and perhaps that's what winter is calling us to do too. 

And while getting sick always upsets me, because I do oh so much to keep my family healthy, I've learnt a couple things this time around. And first is to redefine my thoughts on sick. Because colds and high temps, as much as it's horrible to see your babies unwell and exhausting to care for them when you're feeling much the same - well that's one level of sick that our healthy bodies can fight and handle. And that our bodies bounce back from rather well. So yes we've been sick, but in being so our bodies have shown us how strong and capable they are too. Because we are healthy. 

And while I normally avoid catching what my girls get, this time around I'm pretty confident I had to get sick to realign myself with where I need to be. And turns out where I need to be is where I already am. Right here, just being, not doing more and not doing less, but shuffling things around so there's more time for what matters most. 

I've also been reminded that I have time. I have time. Just saying those words aloud reminds me to slow. To give thanks for now. I made a couple big decisions this past month, and it turns out now I've changed my mind on those. And that's okay. Because slowing to take less on but take in more of right now, it just seems right for me. And us. 

xx

Are you called to slow down this season too? x

6 comments:

  1. I am right there on the slow train with you and it's the best place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put such an emphasis on healthy that I always feel like a bit of a failure when I get sick! I am loving these slow winter days. Probably has something to do with having a new baby, but this is most definitely the slowest winter I've ever had! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, we live slow, and find when things change for a short time it doesn't feel right for any of us. So I hear you. I am the same with sickness in our home, something that rarely happens, but when it does, I am amazed at how quickly we rebound, because yes all the preventative stuff does matter. It really does make your system strong and better able to recover. Glad you are all feeling better.

    YES To this!..."Because slowing to take less on but take in more of right now, it just seems right for me. And us."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah, you help me breathe Elisa, xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have time seems to be the current mantra for so many of us right now. Hope you are all feeling well now hon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very rarely get sick, but when I do I honestly think its my bodies way of telling me to slow down. I am always on the go and always multitasking and forget about me. I think its the only way my body can force me to think about myself (albeit while often looking after a sick bub).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words and support. I'm so glad you stopped by xx